Competition: FAI Cup   Venue: Tallaght Stadium    Attendance: 1,400   Referee: Padraigh Sutton
Shamrock Rovers
Shamrock Rovers

Thomas Stewart - Goal (70')

Billy Dennehy - Yellow Card (75')

Thomas Stewart - Goal (77')

Conor McCormack - Yellow Card (88')

Fri 24 Aug 2012

2 - 0

(Full Time)
Cork City
Cork City

Keigan Parker - Yellow Card (51')

Neal Horgan - Yellow Card (67')

Starting Lineup
(G) Oscar Jannson
(D) Colin Hawkins
(D) Kerrea Gilbert
(D) Conor Powell
(D) Craig Sives
(M) Gary McCabe
(M) Ronan Finn
(M) Stephen Rice
(M) Chris Turner
(F) Ciaran Kilduff
(F) Gary Twigg
Reyaad Pieterse
Conor McCormack
Daryl Kavanagh
Billy Dennehy
Killian Brennan
Thomas Stewart
Pat Sullivan

Shamrock Rovers 2 - 0 Cork City
Published: August 24, 2012

Two second half goals from substitute Thomas Stewart helped to seal Shamrock Rover's place in the quarter final of the FAI Cup as Stephen Kenny's side overcame Cork City 2-0 on a wet night in Tallaght.

It was the visitors who created the game's first chance in the 6th minute. Daryl Horgan found Vinny Sullivan in some space in the Rovers penalty area and the striker eventually turned and shot towards goal but Oscar Jansson was out quick to block the effort.

City looked comfortable in the first half and it wasn't until the 37th minute that the home team created their first real chance. Right back Kerrea Gilbert made an excellent run down the right hand side and his cross picked out Gary Twigg six-yards out, but Twigg flashed his header goalwards but the ball went just wide.

Tommy Dunne's team had another chance of their own just before the break. After Shamrock Rovers left back Conor Powell slipped near the halfway lines, City's Daryl Horgan played it to Davin O'Neill. O'Neill cut in from the left and had a shot, but his effort was straight at Jansson.

The Hoops created the first chance of the second half. Three minutes into the second period Chris Turner crossed from the right and picked out Gary Twigg. He laid it off for Ronan Finn who shot just wide.

Tommy Dunne's side had two chances in the space of a minute to take the lead soon after. In the 54th minute Davin O'Neill crossed from the right and picked out Daryl Horgan at the back post. Horgan somehow volleyed over from six-yards out. Shortly after that Keigan Parker picked out O'Neill. His shot was heading into the bottom corner but Jansson dived low to his left and tipped it around for a corner.

City were made to rue those misses in the 70th minute from Gary McCabe's free kick from the right. He picked out Billy Dennehy at the back post and Dennehy played the ball across the area for his fellow substitute Thomas Stewart to knock the ball into the empty net.

Stewart's second goal in the 77th minute was a beauty. He received the ball from Colin Hawkins 25-yards from goal. Stewart let fly and the ball hit the crossbar before bouncing down over the line.

Just a minute later Rovers nearly scored a third after Gilbert picked out Twigg again. Twigg was in space in the area and got his shot in but he hooked his effort wide.

Unlike the league game between the two sides earlier in the season in Tallaght there was no late drama as Stephen Kenny's side held out comfortably to book their place in the quarter final of the cup. It was Rover's fifth win in six league and cup games. None of their fans were asking for the manager to be sacked at the end of this home match.

Shamrock Rovers: Oscar Jansson; Kerrea Gilbert, Colin Hawkins, Craig Sives, Conor Powell; Chris Turner (Billy Dennehy 62), Ronan Finn, Stephen Rice, Gary McCabe (Conor McCormack 86); Ciaran Kilduff (Thomas Stewart 68), Gary Twigg (c).
Subs not used: Reyaad Pietrese, Pat Sullivan, Daryl Kavanagh, Killian Brennan.

Booked: Dennehy (75), McCormack (88).


Cork City: Mark McNulty; Neal Horgan (c) (Stephen Kenny 85), Gavin Kavanagh, Kevin Murray, Danny Murphy; Daryl Horgan, Shane Duggan, Gearoid Morrissey, Davin O'Neill; Vinny Sullivan (Ian Turner 70), Keigan Parker.
Subs not used: Kevin Burns, Dan Murray, Kalen Spillane, Andy O'Connell, Garry Buckley.

Booked: Parker (51), N Horgan (67).


Referee: Padraig Sutton
Attendance: 1,400 (estimate). man of the match: Thomas Stewart (Shamrock Rovers).


Starting Lineup
(G) Mark McNulty
(D) Danny Murphy
(D) Gavin Kavanagh
(D) Neal Horgan
(D) Kevin Murray
(M) GearĂ³id Morrissey
(M) Daryl Horgan
(M) Shane Duggan
(M) Davin O'Neill
(F) Keigan Parker
(F) Vinny Sullivan
Dan Murray
Stephen Kenny
Kevin Burns
Garry Buckley
Andy O'Connell
Kalen Spillane
Ian Turner