Competition: League of Ireland Premier Division   Venue: Carlisle Grounds    Attendance: 1,750 (est)   Referee: Paul McLaughlin
Bray Wanderers
Bray Wanderers

Kieran 'Marty' Waters - Goal (16')

Kieran 'Marty' Waters - Goal (37')

John Mulroy - Yellow Card (52')

Dane Massey - Yellow Card (58')

Darren Quigley - Yellow Card (60')

Jason Byrne - Yellow Card (75')

Fri 20 Apr 2012

2 - 2

(Full Time)
Shamrock Rovers
Shamrock Rovers

Conor Powell - Yellow Card (41')

Gary Twigg - Missed Penalty (45' + 2')

Ronan Finn - Yellow Card (56')

Ronan Finn - Goal (67')

Gary Twigg - Goal (82')

Starting Lineup
(G) Darren Quigley
(D) David Webster
(D) Pierce Sweeney
(D) Danny O'Connor
(D) Kevin Knight
(M) Dean Zambra
(M) Kieran 'Marty' Waters
(M) Dane Massey
(M) Adam Hanlon
(F) John Mulroy
(F) Jason Byrne
Adam Mitchell
Stephen Last
Jonathan Kelty
Graham Kelly
Brian Kane
Daire Doyle
Anthony Bolger

Bray Wanderers 2 - 2 Shamrock Rovers
Published: April 20, 2012

Shamrock Rovers were lucky to escape from their trip to the Carlisle Grounds in Bray with a 2-2 draw.  Kieran ‘Marty’ Waters scored both of Bray Wanderers’ goals.  However, his first half goals were cancelled out by Ronan Finn and Gary Twigg, who got the equaliser for Rovers eight minutes from time.


Bray Wanderers dominated proceedings in the first half.  Dane Massey and Waters were constant thorns in the visitor’s sides.  Massey went close after just three minutes when his shot hit the side net.  Rovers could have conceded a penalty 10 minutes later as Conor McCormack’s hand flicked away a ball that Waters had lifted inside the Rovers right-back.


Some nice build up play from Bray saw Adam Hanlon get down the Rovers right.  He played a dangerous ball into the box and Jason Byrne stepped over it to allow Waters get a shot away.  Oscar Jansson saved that shot but could do nothing four minutes later when Bray opened the scoring.  It was a great move with some lovely linked up play between Massey and Byrne. Massey played in Waters whose crisp left foot finish hit the back of the net from the edge of the box.


Rovers finally came into the game on the half hour mark with Gary McCabe floating in a couple of crosses but first Chris Turner and then Gary Twigg  wasted headed chances. 


On 35 minutes Rovers keeper Jansson came running out of his box to head a Bray through ball clear.  McCabe picked the ball up for Rovers but was sloppy in possession allowing Waters to try a speculative shot from 40 yards that went over the bar.


Two mintues later Wanderers double their lead with Waters getting his second of the night.  Dean Zambra passed to Waters wide on the left.  He showed great skill as he cut inside Craig Sives and with his right foot slotted the goal away nicely.


Controversy reigned just before half time.  Gary Twigg was fouled by Pierce Sweeney in the Bray box and referee Paul McLaughlin pointed to the spot.  Twigg put it away but the ‘keeper and referee were not ready. The ref was busy sending off Keith Long from the Bray dugout as he protested over the penalty concession.  When eventually Twigg retook the penalty, it was saved by Darren Quigley.  Billy Dennehy slotted the rebound home but he had encroached into the area.  As the penalty had been saved, the ref ruled that it wasn’t goal and play was restarted with a free out to Bray.


Bray looked to protect their lead in the second half and defended resolutely until they were picked apart by Rovers on the break.  Second half substitute Daryl Kavanagh slotted Ronan Finn in on goal in the box.  Finn’s fine finish low to Darren Quigley’s left made it 2-1.


Bray’s discipline began to let them down.  Jason Byrne picked up Bray’s fourth yellow card when he conceded a free in a dangerous position.  Dennehy’s free beat the wall but not Quigley in goal who claimed it at the second attempt.


Daryl Kavanagh provided great impetus for Rovers when he came on and he  set up the equaliser.  He picked up the ball in midfield and holding off a couple of Bray challenges played the ball to Twigg in the box.  Twigg took once touch and tucked it away to make it 2-2.


Rovers had one final chance to get a winner that they really wouldn’t have deserved.  McCabe picked up a return ball thanks to Finn’s flicked back heel but the winger shot high over the bar as the game ended in a draw.


Bray Wanderers: Darren Quigley; David Webster, Danny O’Connor, Pierce Sweeney, Kevin Knight (Adam Mitchell 83); Adam Hanlon, Dane Massey, Dean Zambra, John Mulroy, Kieran Marty Waters; Jason Byrne (Daire Doyle 86).

Subs not used: Brian Kane, Stephen Last, Graham Kelly, Jonathan Kelty, Anthony Bolger.

Yellow Cards: John Mulroy (52), Dane Massey (58), Darren Quigley (60), Jason Byrne (75).


Shamrock Rovers: Oscar Jansson; Conor McCormack, Craig Sives, Ken Oman, Conor Powell (Aaron Greene 79); Gary McCabe, Chris Turner, Ronan Finn, Billy Dennehy; Gary Twigg, Gary O’Neill (Daryl Kavanagh 64).

Subs not used:  Reyaad Pierterse, Sean Gannon, Graham Gartland, Stephen Rice, Dean Ebbe,

Bookings: Conor Powell (41), Ronan Finn (56).


Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

Attendance: 1,750 (estimate). Man of the Match: Kieran Marty Waters (Bray Wanderers).


Macdara Ferris

Macdara made his debut as a football supporter in Lansdowne Road watching Ireland defeat Luxembourg. He still believes one day he will see his club Shamrock Rovers win an FAI Cup. You can follow Macdara on twitter <a href="">@macdarabueller</a>

Starting Lineup
(G) Oscar Jannson
(D) Conor McCormack
(D) Ken Oman
(D) Conor Powell
(D) Craig Sives
(M) Gary McCabe
(M) Ronan Finn
(M) Billy Dennehy
(M) Chris Turner
(F) Gary O'Neill
(F) Gary Twigg
Daryl Kavanagh
Aaron Greene
Graham Gartland
Sean Gannon
Dean Ebbe
Reyaad Pieterse
Stephen Rice