Competition: League of Ireland First Division   Venue: Fahy's Field    Attendance: Unknown   Referee: Unknown
Mervue United
Mervue United

Rory Gaffney - Yellow Card (26')

Marc Ludden - Yellow Card (63')

Sat 24 Jul 2010

0 - 1

(Full Time)

Michael Coburn - Yellow Card (68')

Marc Hughes - Goal (76')

Michael Clarke - Yellow Card (81')

Ian Ryan - Red Card (85')

Starting Lineup
(G) Ger Hanley
(D) Darren Young
(D) Nicky Curran
(D) Kevin Crehan
(D) Eric Browne
(M) Mike Tierney
(M) Marc Ludden
(M) Alex Lee
(M) Evan Connolly
(F) Dave Goldbey
(F) Rory Gaffney
Noel Varley
Bryan Mannion
Mike Elwood
Dan Cunningham
Martin Conneely

Mervue United 0 - 1 Shelbourne
Published: July 25, 2010

Shelbourne came away with a valuable three points from Terryland Park, in a hard-won game against Mervue United on Saturday evening. However, the big talking point of the match came five minutes before time when referee Mr J Grimes sent off the wrong man for an off-the-ball incident in a clear case of mistaken identity.

New Shelbourne manager Alan Mathews was looking for his first win in this his second game in charge, after losing narrowly at home to Derry last weekend. He made just one change bringing in the experienced Ray Scully on the right side in place of youngster Alalberto Pinto. Mervue were also looking to bounce back, having lost out last week to local rivals Salthill Devon.

Perhaps the home side were still smarting from that defeat, as they began the match very much on the back foot, with the visitors totally dominating the first half hour as they launched attack after attack on Ger Hanley’s goal. Cassidy, Gorman, O’Brien and McGill all had scoring chances with Dinny Corcoran probably having the best opportunity to open the scoring when a Cassidy cross on 22 minutes, set him up nicely to head home, but he failed to get any power or direction on it.

A yellow card for Rory Gaffney four minute later seemed to awaken the westerners and the ginger left winger himself created his side’s first real chance when he charged down the line and sent in a good cross to Kevin Crehan who might have done better with his header. Gaffney was the provider again a couple of minutes later when his corner kick found Dave Goldbey lurking on the back post, but this time the header was just inches wide.

Goldbey threatened again on 38 minutes when he forced the diving Reds keeper Dean Delany into a fine fingertip save. At the other just before e the break Philly Gorman brought out the best in keeper Hanley.

The second half continued in similar vein with Shels again in profligate scoring form. Mervue weren’t out of the running either, with keeper Delany denying them several times, being quick off his line to punch clear from a couple of crosses and corners.

Marc Hughes replaced the hard-working but off-target Corcoran just before the hour mark and it he who notched the winner on 78 minutes when he rose highest to head home a floated David Cassidy free kick. On balance it was no more than the Reds deserved having created numerous opportunities throughout the game.

The match ended in controversy when Shels left back Sean Byrne was involved in an off-the-ball incident with a Mervue player on 85 minutes in front of the small home support. The referee was unsighted and his lineswoman was unable to help with enquiries either. He then consulted with the 4th official before called over centre-half Ian Ryan to brandish his red card. The Mervue supporters howled number three, number three! Mr Grimes heard them, looked up and then returned for another chat with his fourth man before confirming that it was the number four, Ryan, who should take the early bath.

Mervue United: Hanley, N Curran, Ludden, Young, Browne, Crehan, Gaffney, Tierney, Goldbey, Connolly (Mannion 66mins) , Lee (Cunningham 72 mins).
Unused: Conneely, Varley, Elwood.
Yellow Cards: Ludden, Browne.

Shelbourne: Delany, M Clarke, Ryan, Coburn, Byrne, Scully (Shiels 70 mins), McGill, Cassidy, O’Brien, Corcoran (Hughes 59 mins), Gorman.
Unused: Williams, Quigley, Pinto.
Red Card: Ryan.
Yellow Cards: Coburn, Clarke.

Man of the Match: David Cassidy, created all Shels best chances.

Starting Lineup
(G) Dean Delany
(D) Sean Byrne
(D) Michael Clarke
(D) Michael Coburn
(D) Ian Ryan
(M) David Cassidy
(M) David McGill
(M) Colin O'Brien
(M) Ray Scully
(F) Dinny Corcoran
(F) Philip Gorman
Marc Hughes
Adalberto Pinto
Stephen Quigley
Paul Shiels
Steve Williams