Competition: League of Ireland First Division   Venue: Tolka Park    Attendance: Unknown   Referee: Unknown
Fri 07 May 2010

0 - 1

(Full Time)
Waterford United
Waterford United

George O'Callaghan - Goal (63')

Kevin Waters - Yellow Card (67')

Starting Lineup
(G) Dean Delany
(D) Sean Byrne
(D) Michael Clarke
(D) Ian Ryan
(D) Gareth Whelan
(M) Eric Foley
(M) David McGill
(M) Ray Scully
(M) Paul Shiels
(F) Philip Gorman
(F) Marc Hughes
Robbie Clarke
Dinny Corcoran
Darren Forsyth
Mark Leech
Steve Williams

Shelbourne 0 - 1 Waterford United
Published: May 07, 2010

Waterford United got their promotion push back on track somewhat with an unconvincing 1-0 win over Shelbourne, as George O’Callaghan's second half strike proved the difference at Tolka Park.

Both sides worked hard throughout the match, but Waterford's defence stood firm throughout aided by a Man of the Match performance from their American keeper Chris Konopka.

It was the 12th minute when the first real shot on goal was taken by Shelbourne’s Eric Foley, but it was easily saved by Chris Konopka in the Waterford United goal. Shels were the better of the two sides going forward and David McGill’s curling attempt from just outside the box just flew over the goal.

That seemed to be Waterford’s wake-up call and they should have taken the lead in the 18th minute when Willie John Kiely found himself in acres of space in the Shelbourne penalty area but he couldn’t find the net as Dean Delany pulled off an amazing save and pushed the ball over the bar.

The game became stretched with both sides having long range efforts on goal. Waterford’s Timmy Purcell should have maybe done better with his attempt that just whizzed by the Shelbourne goal from 20 yards.

Shelbourne striker Mark Hughes missed a host of chances for the home side over the hour and a half, with the first one coming in the 30th minute. McGill was also guilty of wasteful finishing when he blazed over the bar from just inside the box two minutes later.

The profligacy continued apace as just before half-time Shelbourne's Ray Scully should have scored but Konopka again saved well with his legs

Shelbourne shot out of the blocks and a minute into the second half Hughes dribbled his way into a great position in the area but, to the home fan's agony, his effort drifted inches wide of the post.

The visitors then punished Shelbourne when they took the lead in the 63rd minute. Gary Dunphy crossed for Willie John Kiely to cleverly head the ball down into the path of George O’Callaghan, who tapped in from six yards out for one of his more unspectacular goals. In the course of Waterford's season, however, it may prove to be one of the most important.

It was all Shelbourne again after that, but they were reduced to having long range shots that never troubled Konopka. It wasn’t until the last minute of normal time that they got the ball beyond the American but luckily for Waterford Philip Gorman’s close range effort hit the post.

It was Gorman again who tested Konopka in the 90th minute when he shot outside the box but the Waterford keeper denied Shelbourne a share of the spoils and ensured Waterford United continued their stuttering push for promotion.

Shelbourne FC: Dean Delaney; Mick Clarke, Sean Byrne, Ian Ryan, Gareth Whelan; Paul Shiels, David McGill, Ray Scully, Mark Hughes, Philip Gorman, Eric Foley(Dinny Corcoran 52).
Unused Subs: Mark Leech, Robbie Clarke, Darren Forsyth, Steve Williams.

Waterford United: Chris Konopka; Paul Carey, Timmy Purcell (James O‘Sullivan 82), Gary Dunphy, George O’Callaghan, John Kearney, Liam Kearney, Paul McCarthy, Willie John Kiely, Vinny Sullivan, Kevin Waters.
Unused Subs: David Grincell, Gareth Cambridge, John Hayes, Kevin Burns. Man of the Match: Chris Konopka

Referee: Paul McLaughlin.

Starting Lineup
(G) Chris Konopka
(D) Paul McCarthy
(D) John Kearney
(D) Liam Kearney
(D) Paul Carey
(M) Kevin Waters
(M) Timmy Purcell
(M) George O'Callaghan
(M) Gary Dunphy
(F) Vinny Sullivan
(F) Willie John Kiely
James O'Sullivan
John Hayes
David Grincell
Gareth Cambridge
Kevin Burns